News In Brief
February 20 & February 21

MDP referendum stand, Addu power outage and missing man

News in brief from Friday and Saturday, February 20 and 21.

MDP's national council unanimously voted to campaign against the upcoming referendum on merging presidential and parliamentary elections, citing concerns over the government's hidden agenda, lack of public consultation, and insufficient time for voter preparation. Party leaders criticised the move as an attempt to silence public discourse and limit democratic opportunities to once every five years.

A power outage hit Addu City's connected islands due to engine failure at the powerhouse. Fenaka said the issue was resolved, though electricity and water disruptions remain recurring problems in the southernmost atoll. 

Police began searching for Ibrahim Imthiyaz Ali, 30, from Henveiru Favoritevilla in Malé, who was reported missing on February 17 after last being seen leaving home on February 13. Following the announcement, Imthiyaz came to the police station on Saturday night, police said. He was reported to be in good health.

Illegal dumping of furniture and household waste around the base of Hiya towers in Hulhumalé Phase 2 escalated ahead of Ramadan, prompting HDC to identify violators through CCTV footage and issue warnings, while urging residents to take personal responsibility for proper waste disposal, Mihaaru reported

Ali Najih Ahmad, 29, from Hulhevi, Baa Kudarikilu, was arrested and remanded for 12 days over allegations of uploading and storing child sexual abuse material on Google Drive and electronic devices. The case is under investigation by the police's Family and Child Protection unit.

The Criminal Court remanded a 27-year-old man from Haa Dhaalu Nolhivaranfaru pending trial for allegedly attacking a police officer with a sharp-edged weapon, citing sufficient evidence and his prior criminal record under the Act on Prohibition of Gang Crimes.

STO published a list of essential food items it sells at controlled prices.

Two Bangladeshi nationals, Mohamed Mosharof, 35, and Nayan Mia, 36, were remanded for seven days over a brawl between expatriate workers at Hulhumalé's Central Park, while two other suspects remain at large.

The Criminal Court remanded Ahmed Fairish from Henveiru Laaluge in Malé for 15 days on charges of issuing death threats. Court records showed he has prior arrests for multiple offences including threatening, assault, and violence.

Some 789 Maldivians completed their pilot training with the government-sponsored student loan, the higher education ministry told Mihaaru in response to an RTI request. Most trainees have returned to Maldives with 126 still studying abroad, but lack of job opportunities has left over 200 pilots unemployed, prompting the current government to halt new pilot training scholarships last year.

A man from Shaviyani Komandoo was sentenced to five months and 14 days in jail, commuted to a MVR 32,800 (US$ 2,126) fine, for stealing a bottle of Nescafé worth MVR 175 from Redwave Plaza. The sentence was increased due to a prior conviction despite his guilty plea.

ESSESS Foundation launched "Guided Conversation," a mentorship program connecting youth with 16 experienced professionals across fields including business, hospitality, aviation, creative arts, technology, wellness, and sustainability, offering one-on-one guidance sessions through their website.

Bangladeshi national Iqbal Mia, 35, an undocumented migrant, was remanded for 30 days on kidnapping charges after police forcibly entered a location late Thursday night and rescued a victim, who showed no visible signs of injury.

Discussion

No comments yet. Be the first to share your thoughts!

No comments yet. Be the first to join the conversation!

Join the Conversation

Sign in to share your thoughts under an alias and take part in the discussion. Independent journalism thrives on open, respectful debate — your voice matters.

Support independent journalism

Explore more