The scheduled date for this year’s presidential poll has been finalised and will be announced on Thursday, the Elections Commission told the Maldives Independent.
EC member Ahmed Akram said Tuesday the commission had finalised the schedule and it would be announced at a meeting with political parties, media and other stakeholders.
The election is expected to be in September and will be held against the backdrop of widespread criticism of civil and political rights abuses by President Abdulla Yameen’s government.
Last week authorities attempted to block the main opposition Maldivian Democratic Party’s primary over the candidacy of former president Mohamed Nasheed.
Police snatched ballot boxes and confronted MDP supporters in an effort to execute a court warrant ordering the blocking of the primary.
Despite the disruption Nasheed was declared the MDP presidential candidate after running unopposed and securing more than 40,000 member votes.
The EC has declared the referendum unlawful over his ineligibility to run for office with a 13-year prison sentence on a controversial terror charge.
Akram said the commission would deliberate on the action to be taken against the MDP.
“What we are saying is we will not accept any activity that is conducted unlawfully. There are laws and regulations that govern the administration of political parties and we are responsible to ensure that it is followed,” he told the Maldives Independent.