Two people with connections to the Islamic State group have been charged for planning and attempting to take part in a suicide attack, officials confirmed Tuesday.
The men are affiliated with the jihadi group operating out of parts of Syria and Iraq, the Prosecutor General’s office said.
PG spokesman Adam Thaufeeq told the Maldives Independent that one was charged for planning a suicide attack while the other was charged for attempting to carry it out.
He was unable to provide details, including the suspects’ identities and the suicide attack.
A source familiar with the case told the Maldives Independent on condition of anonymity that the charges stemmed from arrests in September.
Authorities made several terror-related arrests that month following the United Kingdom updating its Maldives travel advice, saying terrorists were “very likely” to carry out an attack in the country.
On September 14, local media reported the arrest of two Maldivians on suspicion of planning a terrorist attack in collaboration with the IS group. The men were reportedly arrested and remanded to police custody but authorities have so far declined to comment.
That same month Malaysia announced that two Maldivian men were among 19 suspected terrorists with links to the IS group arrested by police in major raids.
Four men were also arrested in late April in connection with an alleged terror plot.
“Well done and Thanks to Police Services for stopping the bomb attack in the capital,” Fisheries Minister Dr Mohamed Shainee tweeted at the time.