The Maldives Ports Limited will invest MVR100 million (US$6 million) for a bus service on the Malé to Hulhulé bridge that is due to open later this year.
Rabih Mohamed, assistant CEO for MPL, told local media that the service will begin with 22 buses travelling every 10 minutes.
Buses of three sizes – single deck for 50-70 passenger, double deck for 80-100 passengers and a shuttle bus with luggage for 40-45 passengers – are to be acquired.
A project to provide a bridge bus service was handed over to MPL late last year. The company hopes to start the service when the bridge opens on July 26.
Land has been allocated to build passenger terminals and work is under way to finalise a design, Rabih said.
Abdul Razzaq Haleem, MPL CEO, said the terminals will be developed with a parking space and restaurants.
“We are now discussing with the government to fix a fee. A convenient fee will be charged for the service,” he said.
Haleem said the service will create new jobs as they “will need conductors, drivers and terminus employees.”
The bridge project was launched in December 2015 with a concessional loan and grant aid from the Chinese government.