An employee at the Olhuveli Beach and Spa Resort in South Malé atoll was injured in a fire last night.
A police media official told The Maldives Independent that the was reported around 7:40pm. The victim suffered minor burns and was brought to Malé for treatment. The spokesperson declined to reveal further details.
Officials at the resort also declined to provide information to The Maldives Independent.
Staff at the resort told CNM on the condition of anonymity that the fire broke out at the resort’s waste disposal site, where garbage is incinerated. The victim suffered burns to 40 percent of his body, the employee said.
Resort staff found out about the fire after hearing a loud blast from the waste disposal site. The fire was reportedly put out shortly thereafter before it spread further.
Feature & Comment4 months ago
Maldives Independent suspends operations
Health4 months ago
Iyaz on Female Circumcision
Business & Tourism5 months ago
EPA rejects Maafaru runway expansion project
Environment5 months ago
Infrastructure development pushing islands to ‘tipping point’
Society & Culture5 months ago