Connect with us


Live blog: Maldives State of Emergency

A former president and the country’s top judge were among those arrested last night as the Maldives declared a state of emergency.



Last night the Maldives declared a state of emergency lasting 15 days. At the same time the Maldives Independent website came under attack. We believe the attack was designed to coincide with the announcement to stop us from reporting. We started a live blog today but the attacks continue and updates are no longer possible. Follow @IndependentMV on Twitter for developments.

There have been days of unrest in the Maldives, after a Supreme Court ruling ordering the release of nine high-profile prisoners.

Tweets from last night can be found here and the main overnight events are at the bottom of this page. Hit refresh for updates.

11.50 am  The state of emergency decree has suspended certain rights, including the right to remain silent and be brought before a judge within 24 hours. Sections a, c and d are affected:


11.30 am – Former president Mohamed Nasheed has pleaded for India’s intervention:

10.31 am – Cathay Pacific sent out a promotional email earlier offering with holidays to the Maldives, but the offer has now been dropped we understand. Luckily, here is a screenshot.

8.52 am – former deputy prosecutor general Hussain Shameem says police have released Faris Maumoon, one of the nine people named on the court order.



Former president Maumoon Abdul Gayoom was arrested from his home around 11pm on Monday night. Police broke down the door.

Before being arrested, Maumoon released a video asking Maldivians to remain steadfast and assuring the public he had not done anything unlawful to warrant arrest. His son-in-law Mohamed Nadheem was also arrested.

The charges for both include bribing lawmakers and plotting to overthrow the government.

Gayoom was escorted out of his home with riot police saluting him as they led him out. The octogenarian half-brother of President Abdulla Yameen was taken to a detention facility on the island of Dhoonidhoo.

Chief Justice Abdulla Saeed and Justice Ali Hameed were arrested from the Supreme Court at around 3 am after an almost a seven-hour siege of the Supreme Court by security forces. The army scaled the building to the Supreme Court and held staff and judges under military supervision. Bags containing unknown items were removed from the Supreme Court.

The judges were taken to a detention facility outside the capital, Malé.

Judicial administrator Hassan Saeed was also arrested around after midnight and his home was raided for the second time.

A senior ruling party figure denied knowing about Gayoom’s arrest, but blamed it on the main opposition Maldivian Democratic Party and former president Mohamed Nasheed.

The joint opposition rejected the state of emergency.

The government has said foreigners are safe.