Morning Brief

Rasdhoo burn victim passes away

A digest of yesterday's top story.

01 Apr, 12:09 AM

A 31-year-old woman from Alif Alif Rasdhoo who suffered burns to more than 80 percent of her body died on Monday, according to the Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospital.

Her 31-year-old husband, who suffered burns to 78 percent of his body during the fire that occurred in the couple’s room last week, remains at IGMH’s intensive care unit.

Following the incident on the night of March 24, the couple was rushed to Malé and placed on ventilator support. Due to the severity of the injuries, the doctors gave up any hope for recovery, family members told the media last week. 

Dr Shailesh Ranade, a burns and plastic surgeon from Bhatia Hospital in Mumbai, India, came to the Maldives last Thursday to assess their condition.

The burn victims had since been receiving treatment based on the doctor’s advice, IGMH said.

The cause of the fire remains unclear. Despite the couple’s extensive injuries, their room did not catch fire except for a door curtain. The police have yet to reveal any details of the ongoing investigation. 

The couple’s five-year-old child was not in the room when the incident happened.

When he caught fire, the man ran out of the house and called for help, after which he was taken to the island’s hospital on a motorcycle, Dhauru reported. The woman was taken later in an ambulance.

Dhauru identified the deceased as Aishath Rifqa, a civil servant at the atoll office in Rasdhoo.

Share the story

Explore more

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter

We'll guide you through what's happening and why it matters