Lawyer Nazim Sattar was summoned for questioning at the police headquarters Wednesday over a retweet alleging that the first lady was travelling from Singapore to Malé “with large amounts of cash”.
The move comes days after Gasim predicted that Villa’s accounts could be frozen ahead of Monday’s no-confidence vote against the speaker of parliament.
Both President Abdulla Yameen and the new alliance formed between ruling party lawmakers loyal to former President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom and opposition parties are confident of victory in the upcoming no-confidence vote against the parliament’s speaker.
Gasim had predicted that the high court would rule against Villa. “It looks like a big wave is building, looks like they are going to freeze all the accounts of Villa Shipping company again,” he said Sunday night.
Echoing the criminal court’s threat of legal action against journalists, the broadcasting regulator has also accused some media outlets of “spreading falsehoods and slander that encourages terrorism, tarnishes the country’s good name internationally, and strains the Maldivian state’s diplomatic relations”.
Shortly after investigators from the anti-graft watchdog went into the home ministry Sunday morning, Home Minister Azleen Ahmed called an impromptu press conference and alleged that his predecessor had awarded contracts in violation of public finance rules.
The first lady’s campaign office began distributing masks, medicine and leaflets about influenza in Malé on Thursday and planned to send supplies to islands facing shortages.
The return of lawmakers from the Jumhooree Party and opposition Maldivian Democratic Party who switched to the ruling party will “automatically” solve the problems facing the Maldives, JP leader Gasim Ibrahim said.
The criminal court has threatened to take “legal action” against journalists who “encourage terrorism” and threaten the peace, stability and sovereignty of the Maldivian state.
Thayyib Shaheem, a prominent opposition social media activist, is under arrest on suspicion of sowing discord among the public with false information on social media and inciting fear and panic about the H1N1 swine flu virus.
Both the police and the home minister have dismissed the article by Asian News International, which reported that the Saudi king’s official visit was cancelled over fears that terror cells set up by a Yemeni man in the Maldives could pose a threat.
“President Yameen is convinced he can’t win a fair election and has delayed #LCE2017 for the 3rd time. A case of lies upon lies. Unacceptable,” tweeted former President Mohamed Nasheed, the opposition leader.
The foreign minister said the visit was postponed due to the flu outbreak. The announcement comes after a leaked audio clip of Majority Leader Ahmed Nihan talking about the sale of Himithi in Faafu atoll to Saudi Crown Prince Mohamed bin Salman Al Saud.
The meeting hall was previously raided twice amidst a crackdown against any attempts to carry out “demeaning” activities during upcoming official visits.
The Maldives is preparing for the official visit of Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud on Saturday afternoon with rehearsals for the red-carpet welcoming ceremony at the Republic Square in Malé.
Thirteen councillors have been elected without a contest after the elections commission declared them winners by default in the absence of other contenders.
The Anti-Corruption Commission summoned MP Faris Maumoon for questioning on Tuesday afternoon, drawing accusations of intimidation and harassment ahead of the upcoming no-confidence vote against the speaker of parliament.